Remember to have your teeth cleaned regularly. Before your appointment, let your dentist know about any medications you take. Even if you don’t have natural teeth, it’s still important to see your dentist.
Why should I get my teeth cleaned?
To keep your teeth and gums healthy, schedule a dentist visit every 3 months for a teeth cleaning. Regular cleanings:
- Reduce the number of tiny germs (bacteria) in your mouth.
- Keep your mouth clean and help it fight against germs.
- Decrease the amount of plaque on your teeth.
What is plaque?
Plaque is a sticky layer of film that collects on your teeth. Plaque comes from:
- Other things you may put in your mouth like cigarettes or smokeless tobacco. Smoking and using tobacco may make your mouth feel dry. When your mouth is dry, plaque can build up.
If you don’t clean your teeth often, plaque can build up. This can make your teeth and gums swell and hurt. It can turn into a disease called periodontal disease.
What are other ways I can keep my teeth and gums healthy?
- Drink lots of water.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time. Use a soft toothbrush and brush gently.
- Floss once a day.
- Avoid using tobacco products like cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and chewing tobacco. They can harm your teeth and gums.
- Do not drink more than 1 to 2 alcoholic drinks per day. You are more likely to get oral (mouth) and throat cancer if you drink lots of alcohol (beer, wine).
- If you’re pregnant or planning to have a baby, make sure to visit your dentist.
- If you are getting cancer treatments, make sure to see your dentist.
What is periodontal disease?
When your gums and the areas around your teeth get infected, it’s called periodontal disease. It can make you sick and is a serious problem. If someone in your family has it, you might get it too. You might see gaps between your teeth if you have this disease.
Periodontal disease can be painful and may cause tooth loss if not treated properly. If you have any questions about your teeth or gums, remember to call your dentist for help.
How can I schedule a dental check-up?
Current CHN patients can make an appointment through our online scheduler, Healow. Click the button below to find a provider and time that works for you. If you’re a new patient or if you prefer to make an appointment by phone you can call us at (866) 246-8259. Our friendly staff will help you find a time that works for you.