Summer is here folks and we are feeling it. During the hot summer months, we will do just about anything to stay cool. Unfortunately, COVID-19 means we can’t escape to our usual indoor air-conditioned sanctuaries like the movies, bookstores, and restaurants. Check out these tips for staying cool during summer:
- Take a cold shower or pop an icepack out of the freezer. A cold shower will refresh your senses, lower your body’s core temperature, and help with blood circulation. If you don’t have enough time for a shower, take an icepack out of the freezer and gently press it onto your neck or wrists.
- Eat Spicy Foods. As the weather turns warmer, you may feel the urge to reach for something frozen to eat, but you’d be doing yourself a favor by swapping that popsicle for something spicy. Spicy foods like peppers have a chemical called capsaicin that cause your body to sweat. Sweating is one of the main ways the human body has to control body temperature. When sweat evaporates off the skin, your body cools down. It may seem counterintuitive, but the science behind it works!
- Drink water. Your body needs water to properly function. If your body is suffering from heat, water will help it self-regulate, so drink up! Try adding some flavor to your water. Check out these Flavored H2O ideas.
- Swap your bed sheets for breathable linens. Tossing and turning at night because you’re over heating? Switch to sleeping with breathable fabrics like cotton, bamboo, or linen. These fabrics help wick away sweat. Try a thread count between 200 and 400.
- Avoid roasting food in the oven. Last thing you want right now is the oven temperature up to 400 degrees. This will just heat up your home even more. Consider making fresh summer foods like salads and gazpacho. Stay Cool with these No-Cook Meals on Hot Summer Days!