By CHN Nutritionist: Laura Malick RD, CDN
When it’s too hot to cook over a stove, try some of these tips and recipes to help you make meals without turning up the heat.
- Make a lot rice or pasta at the beginning of the week. Save in the fridge and use during the week.
- Use the microwave to steam vegetables.
- Try using some pre-made foods like rotisserie chicken or canned beans (drain and rinse first before you eat them). You could also try canned chicken or tuna (canned in water).
- Make your own dressings to use over cold vegetables, beans, rice, or pasta.
How to Make Easy Dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 garlic clove, minced
White Bean and Roasted Chicken Salad:
(Makes 5 servings)
2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1/3 cup sliced fresh basil
2 (16-oz) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Mix first five salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl for the dressing.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss together.