What is Chana Masala?
Chana Masala or Indian Chickpea Curry, is one of the most popular vegetarian curries in South Asia. It is seen mainly in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. The word “curry” in South Asian food refers to any spicy stir-fried gravy dish with meat or vegetables. This dish is also called Chole masala, Channey or Chholay. This dish can be eaten at any time.
Health benefits of Chickpeas:
- Great source of protein and fiber. These nutrients helps you to feel fuller for longer.
- Fiber in chickpeas helps to prevent constipation.
- Loaded with folate, iron, magnesium, zinc and B vitamins.
- Promotes heart health. They are naturally cholesterol free.
- Helps to control blood sugar.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 green chile, or jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 30 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
How to make:
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat
- Sauté onion until brown
- Add garlic, ginger, and green chili, garam masala, turmeric, salt, and black pepper, keep cooking for 1–2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and water and stir. As the tomatoes break down, the mixture should get thick like a stew. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and cilantro. Cook for 1–2 minutes.
- Serve over basmati rice or with a side of naan.