There is a lot of information about COVID-19 (coronavirus) going around, it’s hard to know how to keep yourself and your loved ones safe. One thing we can do is keep our homes clean. Here are some tips about cleaning habits to help protect against the virus:
- Clean and disinfect your home every day. COVID-19 can live on surfaces for hours to days. Because of this, it’s important to both clean and disinfect daily. If a surface is visibly dirty, clean it the way you normally would using soap and water or a cleansing solution. Afterwards, apply a disinfectant product to the area. Choose the same time each day to help you remember.
- Use a disinfectant that promises to kill 99.9% of germs. Let it dry for 30 seconds before touching the surface again.
- Wipe down surfaces you and your loved ones touch a lot with disinfectant each day such as:
- Light switches
- Refrigerator and microwave doors
- Drawer pulls
- TV remote
- Cell phones and keyboards
- Counters and tables where you cook and eat
- Backs of chairs
- Faucet handles
- Toilet handles
- Wear gloves if you want while you clean to protect yourself from germs. If you plan to reuse your gloves, once you’re done cleaning, wash them with soap and water.
- Open windows to help get fresh air into your home. This helps improve ventilation and clean the air.
- When your done cleaning, wash your bare hands with soap and water. Avoid touching your face.
How else can you keep your home clean? When you get home, take off your shoes, hang up your coat and wash your hands right away. Wash them for 20 seconds with soap and water. Hang a reminder on your door to help remember these steps.
To learn more about how to keep your home clean to protect against COVID-19 visit CDC.gov