Thanksgiving is a time to feel good and celebrate with loved ones. Use these tips to enjoy yourself this holiday season and stay healthy!
- Work out to burn off extra calories before your holiday meal. Boost your steps or workout extra hard the week before. Plan a football or basketball game outside or take a walk with loved ones!
- Eat breakfast the morning of a big holiday meal. This can give you more control over your appetite throughout the day. Start your day with a small breakfast that has lots of protein and fiber. You could try an egg with a slice of whole-wheat toast. Or have a bowl of whole-grain cereal with low-fat milk.
- Focus on family and friends. Take time to celebrate relationships. Spend time catching up with loved ones and being thankful for all the joy they bring.
- Check out all the food before you sit down to eat. This will help you control how much you put on your plate. Remember, some holiday foods are better choices than others!
- Eat slowly. Put your fork down in between each bite and savor each mouthful. This will help you feel more satisfied during your meal.
- Wait 10 to 20 minutes before getting up for a 2nd helping. You may find that you are no longer hungry.
- Drink a glass of water in between every beer, glass of wine, or liquor. This helps you stay hydrated and limits calories. Calories from alcohol and other drinks add up quickly!
- Be realistic. Set a goal to stay at the same weight this holiday season