While we are happy to have longer summer evenings, it can make it hard to get enough sleep so that you feel rested by the time the sun comes up again tomorrow. A bedtime ritual, like stretching, helps to take a little more time for yourself. It helps to reset the stress and thoughts that have built up during your busy day. Stretching before bed can help you fall asleep faster and more deeply. Try these stretches tonight and see the difference it can make for yourself!
Legs Up the Wall:
Helps relax your core to lower back pain and feel calmer
- Sit on the floor with the right side of your body against a wall.
- Lie on your back as you swing the backs of your legs up against the wall. Your hips can be up against the wall or a few inches away. Choose the distance most comfortable. You can also place a cushion under your hips for a bit of elevation.
- Rest your arms in any comfortable position.
- Stay in this pose for up to 10 minutes.
Relieves tension in your spine, groin, and hips.
- Lie on your back. Bend your knees in towards your stomach.
- Grab the outsides of your feet with your hands. Open your knees slightly wider than your hips, then bring your knees towards your armpits.
- Raise your feet so your heels face up towards the ceiling. Flex through your heels and gently push your feet up into your hands for resistance. Slowly rock side-to-side to massage your lower back.
- On your hands and knees, sit back onto your heels with your knees slightly wider than your hips.
- Slowly walk your hands out in front of you to bring your forehead to the floor or until you feel a stretch. Relax your chest into this position. Hold for up to 10 minutes.