Calcium is a mineral that is found in many places in our body. It is very important for bone and tooth health. The recommended daily amounts of calcium are: For females ages 19-50, and males ages 19-70: 1000mg per day. For females ages 51 & older, and males ages 71 & older: 1200mg per day.
Let’s make sure you’re getting enough.
The most known calcium source are dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt:
|Yogurt, plain||419 mg/cup|
|Mozzarella, part skim||150mg/cheese stick|
But what happens if you are lactose intolerant?
- Lactose is a sugar naturally found in milk and milk products like cheese or ice cream.
- Lactose intolerance is a condition in which people have digestive symptoms such as bloating, diarrhea, and gas after eating foods with lactose.
- About 68 percent of the world’s population is Lactose intolerant but few are aware of their intolerance.
If you’re lactose intolerant or just dairy-free, aim to have 2-3 servings of plant-based calcium per day:
|Fortified Soy Milk||290mg/cup||Edamame||98mg/cup|
|Kale||180mg/2 cups raw kale||Broccoli||87mg/cup|
|Chia Seeds||179mg/2 tablespoons||Almonds||75mg/1 handful|
|White Beans||161mg/cup||Carrots||40mg/medium carrot|
|Dried Figs||120mg/4 dried figs||Pumpkin||40mg/1 cup mashed|
Make Fig Salad with Goat Cheese and Kale
(makes 3-4 servings)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 large fresh figs (or 8 small ones)
- 5 cups kale, stems removed & chopped
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
How to make:
- In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients. Whip until well combined.
- Cut stems from figs. Slice in quarters if large or in half if small.
- In a large bowl, add kale and half of the dressing. Massage kale until kale is more tender.
- Arrange figs on the top of the salad. Add sliced almond and crumbled goat cheese.
- Drizzle the rest of the dressing and toss to combine. Serve right away.