Tips for Preventing Constipation
As CHN nutritionists, constipation is one of the most common gastrointestinal (GI) complaints we hear. Here are some simple tips to help prevent constipation:
Drink more water:
- Try to get at least 8-10 cups of water each day. Water helps keep stool soft. It also helps to move things along in your intestines.
Eat more fiber-rich foods:
- Fiber helps move waste through your digestive system faster.
- Dietary fiber is only found in plant-based foods.
- Add more fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, nuts, and seeds!
- White breads, pastas, and rice are lower in fiber than whole grain options.
- Fiber is highest in seeds, skins, and peels of fruits and veggies. Try to include these when you can.
Move your body more:
- Exercise helps relieve constipation. Moving our whole body helps to move our digestion along too. Sitting too long can make constipation worse. Start with 30 minutes of walking each day!
Include foods and drinks with probiotics:
- Foods and drinks naturally rich in probiotics like yogurt, kefir, kombucha, sour kraut, kimchi, and other fermented veggies can help improve digestion as well.
Just Peachy Salsa
Makes 8 servings
- 2 cups diced peaches
- 3/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 finely diced jalapeño, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in medium-sized bowl. Toss together.
- Serve right away or chill and save for later.
- It is great by itself, with chips, or on top of fish or chicken. Enjoy!