Are you having trouble falling asleep at night? Do you feel tired when you wake up? What you do before bedtime affects how well you sleep. Your bedtime habits also affect how much energy you have during the day.
Follow these tips to improve your night’s sleep:
- Go to bed and wake up around the same time each day. Plan to go to bed at a time when you feel tired, so that you don’t toss and turn.
- Be smart about napping. If you need to nap, do it during the day for no more than 20 minutes.
- Avoid bright lights before bedtime. Your body makes a hormone called melatonin. Melatonin makes you tired. Your body makes more melatonin in the dark. Try reading a book or magazine by a dim light instead of watching TV or using your phone.
- Be active during the day. Exercise helps you feel less tired during the day and helps you sleep better at night. Try to exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes.
- Limit what you eat or drink before bed. Stay away from caffeine, sugar, and big meals.
- Relax and clear your head before bedtime. Try deep breathing to calm your active mind. You can also take a warm bath or listen to relaxing music.
- Keep your bedroom cool, quiet, and comfortable for a better night’s sleep.