Ginger: Getting to the Root of It
By CHN Nutritionist: Karin Arias, RDN, CDN
Ginger is one of the healthiest and most delicious spices around. Its flavor can be described as hot and zesty yet sweet and warm. It is packed with many nutrients that are important to our bodies.
Benefits of Ginger:
- Ginger has gingerol. Gingerol is an oil found in ginger that has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties help to reduce damage in the body. They also help to lower inflammation and swelling.
- Ginger can help with inflammation from certain health problems such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It may also help with muscle pain and soreness after exercise.
- Ginger can help with many types of nausea, such as nausea related to pregnancy, chemotherapy, or after surgery. It can also help with seasickness.
- Chronic (life-long) indigestion is a stomachache marked by a burning sensation, bloating or gassiness, nausea, or feeling full too quickly after starting to eat. Ginger can help the stomach empty faster which leaves less time for food to sit and cause problems.
How to Enjoy Ginger:
- Add to a smoothie. Add ginger to a homemade fruit/veggie smoothie. The zesty flavor of ginger pairs well with carrots, oranges, apples, and grapefruit. It also goes well with strawberries, mango, apples, oranges or kale.
- Make ginger tea. Slice or grate ginger root and add to hot water. You can also cut any leftover ginger root into thin slices no wider than ¼-inch and freeze them in small portions.
- Use it in a stir fry. Add shredded or minced fresh ginger root in an Asian-style stir-fry. Fresh ginger is usually added to the wok at the beginning of the cooking process, along with oil and garlic.
This month’s Recipe: Spiced Ginger Tea
(Makes 2 serving)
- 3 cups of water
- 1 inch of ginger, sliced into pieces no wider than ¼-inch
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 an apple, sliced
- 1 slice of lemon
- In a large pot, add water, ginger, cinnamon, clove, apple slices, and lemon slice.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain and enjoy.