Worrying can happen when you let your mind wander towards nervous or troubling thoughts. Perhaps you have a big speech at work that you’re not ready for? Maybe a family member is sick? If you keep worrying, you may become overwhelmed. This can distract you or keep you from enjoying life. Here are some tips to help you worry less:
- Be aware of your thoughts. If you find yourself thinking of all that could go wrong, stop yourself in that moment. Then ask yourself these questions:
- What is in my control?
- What can I do to make this better?
- The answers can help ease your mind, so you can focus and enjoy today.
- Keep your to-do list short. If you take on too many things at once, you can feel overwhelmed. Focus on 3 to 5 tasks at a time. Ask for help on big tasks or break large projects into smaller tasks. This will help you get control over your day, so you can skip feeling overwhelmed.
- Make time for fun and relaxing activities. Be active or spend time with loved ones to lower stress and relax your mind. Find a time each day when you can recharge and enjoy yourself. Or add fun things to your ‘to do’ list. This will give you something to look forward to after you finish a task.
- Be in the moment. Don’t get distracted by what you have to do next or you’ll miss the moment you are in! Be fully present during everyday tasks such as showering, eating, or going to the park. Put aside distractions like your phone or email. Focus your mind on what you are doing right in that moment.
- Don’t expect perfection. Not everything goes as planned. Even when we think we have it all planned out, something could come up. Mistakes are chances to learn and do better next time. Imperfections are natural and normal. Love who you are and what you do each and every day. Do the same for others.