How to start exercising at home
Working out a few times each week and staying in shape can be hard. Gym memberships can cost a lot, and workout classes are not always at the best times. A great way to fit exercise into your busy schedule is to do it at home! This can also help you save money and feel more comfortable during your workout. Try these tips to get started!
- Make a list of the exercises you want to do and how many of each. This will help you set goals and stay on track while you work out.
- If you need ideas, try a workout video on YouTube. There are many videos like this one from Fitness Blender. These videos show exercise moves to help you do them the right way. They time you and count the number of times you do each exercise to help you stay on track.
- Find an area in your home with floor space. Lay a towel or yoga mat on the floor. This will give your body some cushion during your workout.
- Start your workout with a 5 minute warm up. You can jog in place or march in place by lifting your knees up high each time you step. You can also do another exercise that gets your heart rate up.
- Play upbeat music while you work out to keep yourself motivated!
- As you improve, try doing more of each exercise. You can also add weights to make it harder. You can use hand weights, books, or full water bottles.
- Finish your workout with 5 minutes of stretching. This will help your muscles relax and cool down your body. Hold each stretch for 15 seconds. It should feel like a slight pull, but should not hurt. Try this stretching and cool down video to end your workout.
If you like exercising with other people, check out free classes at Community Healthcare Network! See our schedule here.