By CHN Nutritionist: Mavis Ren RD, CDN
The skin is the largest organ in your body. Food and healthy habits can play a big role in how your skin looks. Here are some tips for healthy and glowing skin.
- Remember to stay hydrated and drink at least 6-8 cups of water a day.
- Wear sunscreen and remember to reapply! Sunburns can cause stress on your skin. Pick a broad-spectrum sunscreen to protect you from UVA and UVB rays.
- Make sure you are getting enough of these vitamins to keep your skin healthy by helping with re-growth, wound healing and maintaining firmness:
- Vitamin A—Carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, and fortified cereals
- Vitamin C—oranges, strawberries, tomatoes, cantaloupe, mango, and red bell peppers
- Vitamin E— sunflower seeds, almonds, hazelnuts, pine nuts, brazil nuts, turnip greens, avocado, kiwi and butternut squash
- Zinc — fortified breakfast cereals, baked beans, chickpeas, yogurt, nonfat milk, instant oatmeal, peas, and oysters
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid — salmon, flaxseed, chia seeds, sardines, and canola oil
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken:
(Makes 6 servings)
- 4 medium chicken breasts, no skin or bones
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Cut chicken breast into cubes and add to the sauce. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Put chicken cubes and bell peppers on a skewer.
- Grill chicken skewers for 5 minutes on each side.