How to best sit at your desk
Do you sit in front of a computer at your work for long periods of time? This can be really hard on your body. You may have pain, stiff joints or tight muscles after you sit for a while. Try these tips to help you sit the right way. This will support and protect your body:
- Put your feet flat on the floor so your knees are level with your hips. You may need to use a footrest if your feet don’t touch the floor.
- Sit all the way back in your chair. Be aware of your posture. Keep your stomach muscles tight, so your back stays straight. Relax your shoulders.
- Center your body in front of your computer screen and keyboard. Keep items you use often (like your phone or stapler) close to your body so you don’t have to reach as much.
- Move the arm rests on your chairso your elbows can rest on them at a 90 degree angle. Your wrists and forearms should be straight, not bent, resting in front of your keyboard and mouse.
- Check how high your computer screen is. When you look straight ahead, your eyes should be level with the top third of your screen. Your neck and spine should be straight. If you need to raise your screen, place a book under it.