How to Better Manage Stress
Stress can be a good thing if it is in small amounts. When you go through short moments of stress, it can help give you energy to get things done. But sometimes stress can last for long periods of time. When this happens, we can get anxious or overwhelmed and even worse, our health might get worse. If you are feeling stressed, anxious, or overwhelmed, try these tips to help you feel better:
- Think about what makes you stressed. Write down why you feel stressed. Write down what happened to you before you started feeling stressed. Try to notice patterns. This can help you learn how to get ready for stressful times and to keep you from feeling overwhelmed.
- Take deep, slow breaths. Breathe in for a count of 4. Hold your breath for 7. Then breathe out for a count of 8. Repeat this a few times until you start to calm down. This will help you relax and lower your heart rate before acting on something.
- Cut back on caffeine and alcohol. Caffeine can help you feel more awake. But it can also raise your heart rate and blood pressure. Caffeine can also make it harder for you to calm down or relax. Alcohol can make you feel moody and on edge. It may help you relax in the moment, but when it wears off, you may feel even more anxious than before.
- Work out often. When you work out, your brain makes you feel happy. This can help you do better in stressful times.
- Eat right at the right time. Eating unhealthy foods can make you feel more moody. Even eating at different times each day can make you feel on edge. Eat small, healthy meals every 3 hours to keep your energy levels up.
- Sleep 8 hours each night to not feel grumpy or sluggish. If your thoughts are getting in the way of sleeping, focus on your breathing. Listen to yourself breathe in and out and notice how that feels. Sometimes certain foods or parts of food can help you sleep better. Talk to your CHN nutritionist or doctor to find out more.
- Talk to a therapist. It can be hard to talk to your loved ones about what’s bothering you. If you feel stressed, CHN has therapists at each health center. Call (866) 246-8259 to find out more.
- Take a wellness class like yoga, meditation, reiki, or sound healing. These classes focus on calming your mind, helping you relax, and lowering stress. CHN has free classes at locations around New York City. For more information contact (212) 432-8494 or [email protected]