Go Back to School Healthy!
Healthy eating and staying active will help your child do well in school and on the playground.
Healthy Lunch Box Ideas:
- Pack simple sandwiches – Try a turkey sandwich with whole wheat bread, lettuce, and tomatoes. It has lots of fiber and protein, so it’s very filling.
- Snack healthy – Packs fruits, granola bars, low-fat string cheese, or pretzels. Try not to pack sweets like cake, cookies, or chips.
- Stick to whole grains – Whole grain bread has twice the vitamins and nutrients as white bread. It tastes just as good too!
- Choose water or seltzer – This helps your child stay hydrated. Stay away from sugary sodas and juices. Also try low fat milk. It’s tasty and helps make your child’s bones stronger.
- Play outside – Kick the soccer ball around the park for 20 minutes. Also play other sports like baseball or football. It’s a great way to get the heart rate up!
- Be active together – Take a family bike ride or rollerblade around the neighborhood or in a park. This way, parents can get fit too!
- Dance – Play some music and have a dance party in your living room. Your child won’t even know that they are working out.
- Go swimming – Go to an indoor or outdoor pool with your child. It’s a fun way to work out with the whole family.
Chicken Avocado Roll-ups (8 servings)
2 avocados, cubed
1 lime, juiced
2 cups shredded chicken
1 bell pepper, chopped
½ red onion, chopped
½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon light sour cream
2 Tablespoons finely chopped chives
4 large flour tortillas
- Mash avocados and lime juice together in a large bowl.
- Add next seven ingredients.
- Spread a thin layer of the mix onto a large tortilla.
- Leave a small border around the edge. Roll the tortilla up tightly.
- Cut off the edges and slice into 1” rolls.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve cold.